Development Permits for Recreational Vehicle Resort ‘R-RVR’ Districts

Do I need a Development Permit for a recreational vehicle/park model in the Recreational Vehicle ‘R-RVR’ District?

You need a development permit to place a park model recreational unit (known as a cottage model), or a park model trailer in the ‘R-RVR’ District.

You do not need a development permit for a travel trailer, fifth-wheel trailer or motorhome type recreational vehicle. Regardless of whether or not you require a development permit, you must comply with the requirements of the Lacombe County Land Use Bylaw, such as setbacks from property lines and separation distances between structures.

How do I get a development permit application?

Development permit application forms are available at the Lacombe County office or can be downloaded from the application forms and information guides page.

What structures can I have on my lot?

Each lot is limited to one recreational vehicle (including park models), one covered deck, and one accessory building not exceeding 13.94 m² (150 ft²) in size. In addition to this, one wood storage box no greater than 1.22 m (4 ft) in height and 2.97 m² (32 ft²) in size is allowed, and one gazebo no greater in height than the recreational vehicle and no greater than 13.94 m² (150 ft²) in size is allowed. Covered decks for recreational vehicles (excluding park models) must be contiguous with the recreational vehicle and cannot be enclosed by any impermeable material.

The total area covered by all structures located at or higher than 0.91 m (3 ft) above grade within a lot is not to exceed 40% of the total condominium unit area, with the following maximums:

  • for condominium units less than 371.61 m2 (4000 ft2) in size - up to a maximum of 134.7 m² (1,450 ft²) in total site coverage
  • for condominium units more than 371.61 m2 (4000 ft2) in size - up to a maximum of 148.7 m² (1,600 ft²) in total site coverage

This maximum site coverage includes all recreational vehicles, including park models (this includes all tip outs, push outs, pull outs, additions, covered and/or enclosed decks, porches verandas), decks, accessory building, wood storage box, and gazebo.

Accessory buildings are not to exceed 3.35 m (11 ft) in height and should complement the recreational vehicle/park model in material, colour and appearance.

What structures am I not allowed?

Garages, carports and guesthouses are prohibited. All off-road vehicles should be stored in a communal storage area. The County’s Land Use Bylaw outlines that only one off-road vehicle (including but not limited to an ATV, dirt bike, jet ski, or snowmobile) may be parked on a condominium unit.

Where can I locate my recreational vehicle/park model and accessory building?

All recreational vehicles (including park models and motor homes) must be located a minimum of 6.10 m (20 ft) from the front property line, and 1.52 m (5 ft) from the rear property line. They must be a minimum of 0.6 m (2 ft) from one side property line, and no less than 1.5 m (5 ft) from the other side property line.

In order to ensure a safe separation distance in case of fire, no recreational vehicle/park model may be located within 3.05 m (10 ft) of another. This means that if your neighbour’s recreational vehicle is located 0.6 m (2 ft) from the side property line, your recreational vehicle must be at least 2.44 m (8 ft) from that side property line.

The accessory building can be located no closer to the front property line than the recreational vehicle/park model, and no less than 0.91 m (3 ft) from the rear property line. It must also be a minimum of 0.6 m (2 ft) from one side property line, and no less than 1.5 m (5 ft) from the other side property line.

How many off-road vehicles can I have on my lot and what storage structures am I allowed?

Each lot shall be limited to one off-road vehicle including, but not limited to, an ATV, dirt bike, Jet Ski, or snowmobile.  Garages, carports, and other structures associated with vehicle storage are prohibited. Storage of multiple off-road vehicles should be in a communal storage area.

Can I have a bunkhouse on my lot?

No, guesthouses, bunkhouses, and any structure other than a recreational vehicle, including Park models, intended to be used as sleeping accommodations are prohibited.

No relaxations of the regulations will be permitted in the ‘R-RVR’ District

More Information

For further details on the regulations for ‘R-RVR’ developments, please consult Sections 7.10 and 6.2 of the Land Use Bylaw.



Building & Property Development

Development Permit Fees

Development Permits Requiring Pre-circulation

Development Permits for Structures

Development Permits for Businesses